Thursday, January 26, 2006

Ivan Decker - and being 2nd Fiddle

Went to the show at YukYuks last night. Always good to see the new acts working out. Ivan Decker landed a great line about going out to dinner and being so broke you just look at the price and order the cheapest thing, so he orders "add bacon". "You take a plate - add bacon. And she'll have 'add mayonaisse'." Funny kid, reminds me of me back in the day - twisting on the everyday. Also Darcy, who is outwardly gay, and makes it work. Of course it WAS in downtown Vancouver. Hard to say what the reaction would be in the prairies...

Anyway, it's my last day in Vancouver before I start my western run. I was thinking about how tough it is to headline. Being second fiddle is easier, and often times more profitable. I just don't really fit anywhere in a show besides headlining. That means I dn't get gigs opening for celebrity acts. Usually celebrities fill the place on there name, but a working headliner can usually blow them off the stage, so they need someone a little lighter in front of them. So I get to be the star, but I rarely get to play the big rooms opening for some name act. Oh well, thats the price of being so damn funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment