Friday, March 24, 2006

Beachcombers on the Prairies

I finally forced myself to watch an entire episode of Corner Gas. I realize now how insulting my joke of calling it Beachcomber's on the Prairies is. Insulting to the Beachcombers. The poetess complained relentlessly that I turn it off, but I wanted to see how bad it could get. (Her complaint is every character is the same and they all use that hick canadian accent, eh.)She finally put on earphones to block it out. But it was so corny and lame. All the characters seem to have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, and the story lines are a well worn as my 501's. The big running gag was that somehow, they had lost the lost and found box. Get it, something that you use to put things that are lost, was lost! The cops decided to try zucchini muffins instead of donuts, but decided to replace the zucchini with chocolate. That's right - a cop/donut joke. And the husband and wife (institutions Eric Pederson and Janet Wright, who apparently by law must be in every Canadian series) - well they were in conflict because the dad was incapable of choosing a good anniversary gift for his long suffering wife. And poor Lacey (bravely played by my friend and Co-VanGogh Talent Client Gabby Miller) was trying to buy a car with the help of Brent Butt, who had plenty of advice about how to stand up to car salesman, but he turned out, (are you ready... sitting down) to be a pushover!! Hilarious. I met Brent's brother in law the other day, and he told me the show is popular in Toronto. Well that explains it.

1 comment: