Friday, October 17, 2008

cancer update



I went yesterday to see Dr. Chi. The news was good. My lymph nodes had shrunk to the point where no further treatment is required. This means that the cancer is dead, and only scar tissue remains. They will still keep checking on me for ten years though, so its not something i will be able to live without. I do have to begin living a healthier life, however. I am over weight (248 lbs) and I have to quit smoking. This reality has left me unhappy and so i remain inactive and smoking. However, there is time to fix that. Meanwhile, my love life continues to be at a standstill, regardless of the fact that I have many women in my life, who show a lot of affection for me, but nothing "romantic". This might have something to do with me being a smoking fatso, hard to say. Anyway, I have two shows this weekend, and I won the poetry slam this week. The conservative got re-elected, even though i voted strategically (ie Liberal).
Not much inspiration in the blog I admit, but at least I'm still writing it. I have a show next weekend in Victoria, and hopefully my island dream girl will show up.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:38 AM

    Richard - I don’t even know you, but felt compelled to encourage you regarding health and activity. Just start with 5 minutes, even if it means walking around the block; start wherever you're at... don't worry about the whole package health and diet clubs try to sell... just try to be consistent at one thing at a time. For me, I started with the walking. I know the only reason I could do this, is because I only kept in mind how I should be more mobile. Everything else sort of followed. I think it was instinctive.... learning what I needed, and not beating myself up because I didn't follow someone’s damn diet. I started walking months ago, at the pace and length of time I was capable of each outing. Gradually, I increased the time and speed to an hour a day, minimum 5, usually 6, and sometimes 7 days a week... I lost 16 pounds just doing only that, and am eating more than before. I still eat pie or ice cream a few times a week or salty snacks… whenever I feel like it. Sometimes I feel like eating salty or sweet snacks a few days in a row, and other times only once a week. Whatever. I eat low carb protein bars in addition to whatever I am eating for Brekky or Lunch. I didn't do that until a few months into my walks, realizing I wasn't getting enough protein. I’ve never been one who liked eating the usual protein sources more than once, sometimes twice a day. Even as a kid. Eventually, I took the stairs whenever possible. Also, I went on my first 45 minute hike in the summer I could never have done a year ago. Anyhow... keep the faith and although it seems trite to say so.... congratulations on the remission. I appreciate that you've documented your experience regarding your treatment, etc. I cannot imagine the difficulty. You must have an incredibly strong character. I sincerely hope that you have a special holiday season.

    ReplyDelete