Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Rowan's response.

This is a reply on myspace to my request to join my new band. It cracked me up so much I had to blog it!
Richard,
I think it's awesome when you find out about people's hidden talents. I wouldn't have expected it but it's good to know that you're musical and better to know that you've decided to put it to some public use (however, uh, anti-social that final use may be 8) (supposing, looking at the song titles, that the lyrical content may share a good deal of overlap with your stand-up routine in tone) Your final remark is a bit ambiguous -- I've joined your myspace friends list; are you asking if I'd like to join the band and play with you? I'm not sure there's much I do that you can't already do better on the piano, but certainly my very appearance on stage is a kind of bonus punch-line. Since I'm already in, uh, three bands, I can't necessarily commit to an intensive musical schedule, but I'm sure I could make time for a couple of practices and a couple of gigs a month, since I'm a big fan of your work. Some time ago I formulated the secret to accordion success: saying "yes" to every opportunity that comes your way, because there won't be many. (Some time later I determined a corollary to it: it's best not to share this secret with the opportunities, who then feel devalued and underappreciated. "He didn't say yes because he likes me or thinks it's a good idea, he said yes because of his stupid rule. That coulda been anyone!" You I suspect have cultivated a thick enough hide on-stage to shrug off any stings this revelation may yield 8)
Rowan

No comments:

Post a Comment