Tuesday, September 16, 2008

boundaries.

spent some time today with my shrink talking about boundaries. I have had to establish some over the last few days, and wondering why it seemed like people seem to stomp right through mine with no problem. Dr. A pointed out that sometimes its not because I haven't established boundaries, but OTHER people have no boundaries, and so don't see mine. ei. it's not my fault that my boundaries aren't being respected, but other people having not developed any for themselves. So no matter how clear I am, they just don't get it. The upside is, by not taking it personally, I can merely enforce my boundaries without hostility, and not take on the stress that used to come from either having my boundaries invaded, or having to fight to protect them. Ironically for the boundary-challenged people, instead of my boundaries being lessened by their attempts to get in, the boundaries are increased. And my stress is reduced, which means I am healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment