Wednesday, August 15, 2007

EMDR

Have been working with my shrink with a protocol called EMDR (eye movement desensitizing reprocessing) and have found it to be very useful. Basically it is a way too process feelings and trauma's without talking about them. (Talking about sad things tends to make people sad, and takes a long time to get anywhere)By alternately stimulating both sides of the brain, it allows you to observe images and feelings ina way that doesn't add to the trauma. Like a dream state that gets you through stuff in the way that the brain recalls them, through images. This has been around for about twenty years, and has proved very successful in helping adults who have suffered abuse as a child to process it, and move toward a full recovery. Already I have been able to stop drinking and other substances as a way to kill pain, and I am feeling a lot clearer and am getting things done. If I can gain a healthly mental outlook through this, and my music and my time off from stand up, then this summer will have been the break through I have been looking for. I am looking forward to my two month tour out east, and have a lot of confidence in myself, as an artist and a person. I owe this, in no small part to my therapist, and myself - for not giving up on me.

Meanwhile I have a voice audition tomorrow, and a music lesson, then working on my friends house reno's, meeting with my brother for the first time this year, then doing a show at the arts club, doing comedy, poetry and music. Looks to be a full day, and so loyal readers, I think I'll hit the sack, and do some dreaming, and actually remember some of them, which hasn't happened in years.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:46 AM

    Please say more about EMDR. Many scholarly types - psychologists - therapists have written and published articles about this technique. Your viewpoint if interesting as an actual user of the system.

    ReplyDelete