Monday, September 17, 2007

First Toronto Slam

Went out the the Press Club last night, and got onto my first TO sLam. Eight slammers competed. I did "I won't Pay" and rocked the place. In fact I finished first after the first round - with one judge scoring me 10. So in the second round, the TO slammers including Truth Is and Electric John, brought their A games. I did "Insomnia" and scored another ten, with a total score of 28.1. However Truth Is, a local star, and a very fine slam poet, scored at 28.3 and won, leaving moi in 2nd. All in all, a good time. Still very much enjoy the company of poets. Now it's time to find some more Poetry rooms and some music open mics, as I find places to fit in that are non stand-up related.

I'm staying with my old friend Briar and her man Neal. Briar is seven months pregnant, and is in good spirits generally, considering she is still working full-time. Those Alberta girls have Moxy.

Neal manages a new restaurant called "Cowbell" and the review in Saturday's Globe and Mail was through the roof! Couldn't be a more glowing recommendation, so reserve now for a table next year!!

There's a show called the Art Barn on Tuesdays at the Clinton, so I'm gonna chase that down.

Today I'm gonna try and hook up with Matt Billon and pick up my check from YukYuks. Maybe play some music tonight.
love to all

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:05 PM

    glad to hear that toronto recognizes a great poet when they hear one. sounds like things are going well for you. nice to see you're staying well rounded (figuratively), keeping up your poetry, piano, and i hope other writing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did some writing on the screenplay today. then caught up with billen. tonight its monday night football at home with mom and dad. (briar and neal)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:05 PM

    billen?

    ReplyDelete